SS16 Trends. Are we ready?
I've collated my instagrams of #7daysofstyle to reveal 10 key trends to inspire you for this coming season. Who inspired us, where you can buy and how to wear.
1. Sheer Lace - Wearing sheer lace is still big news again this season. Be bold and wear with big pants (like I did for my Foxy 40th party in 2014) and how Ellie Golding did recently. For this look try vintage or old lace or go for a modern version at Asos. If you don't want to bare all - wear a long slip underneath (knee length), or be really modern and wear a skirt over the top. Whatever your age, a little bit of sheer worn correctly will be a winner this season.
2. The cropped flared trouser was huge last autumn and still is for spring. Whether its classic black and white punchy floral, bright bold colours or denim this is the trouser shape for the season.
This trend is all about the ankles and footwear. For now, wear with a statement ankle boot, cropped wide blouse and long flowing coat for a loose oversize out of proportion look. Later as it gets warmer a block heeled ballet pump, trainer or platform sandal will do the trick.
3. The bomber jacket - Bombers are back again but unlike my nifty one from Hobbs go larger and baggier and throw some embroidery on it for some drama.
4. Multi coloured stripes - All things bright and rainbow will be hitting the streets this year! I'm so pleased as I love wearing colour!
This Sonia Rykiel jacket is my total favourite rainbow number right now and I'm praying for a cheaper high street version to hit the shops very soon.
For now I'll be happy with this super rainbow sweater from Limited Edition M&S
5. Prairie Frills - mixing the hard and the soft, the rough and the smooth! Prairie style frilled blouses mixed with utility garments are worn together for an super daytime look. There's still a lot of talk about having the confidence to wear dungarees but I adore mine. To keep glam, I like to put different blouses underneath but its my fail safe 'working at home look' and suits my lifestyle in the country so well - yet I feel on-trend.
6. Lingerie by day or night - I met my husband in the 90's wearing a vintage nighty and only this NYE15/16 I re-worked the look with a velvet dress from Zara worn with an oversize double breasted jacket. Lingerie by day is a trend set for SS16.
This picture is taken from Celine SS16. For a more realistic daytime look wear your slip over a slimline polo neck or t-shirt for a grungy 90's layered look (which I'll be doing for nights out with the girls or informal supper parties)
7. Customise your denim - I'm a big fan of street style and follow bloggers and street stylers continuously. There was so much arty customised denim working on the streets of fashion week. This jacket of mine was bought back in the 80's. I worked this look last summer and Top Shop are bringing out badged denim oversized jackets and you can even tart up your jeans yourself with an ASOS DIY Denim online video. Fringing, tassels, beads, whatever takes your fancy!
Sold here this season at Topshop.
8. The black biker jacket is back! After seasons of coloured leather jackets the old school black biker, silver zipped jacket is back. This oversized favourite of mine was purchased in the 80's and resembles this Vogues shot (taken in 1988 which is prob why I bought mine!)
More recently Vogue put model Gigi Hadid on the front cover of Jan 2016 saluting the black biker jacket by designer Bally. So the high street has been a wash with cropped or oversized black leather numbers worn with stripy bretons or over floaty floral dresses.
9. Military statement jacket - I love nothing more than a bit of circus dress up! I stole this look from the circus last summer 15. This season we have seen a huge amount of military inspired statement jackets.
Balmain AW16 took the trend to the mens show in Paris so this look will take through to the colder months.
This season look to the Kooples for a similar style jacket - they even have matching trousers to have a top to toe military suited look.
10. Futuristic metallics - Bronze, silver coloured fabrics are popping up all over the catwalks and designers. Its not just for evening. Do daytime metallics with a handbag, bomber or shoes.
Here's me rocking some silver metallics for a futuristic party last summer and this YSL new metallic dress for SS16.
Or for a much cheaper version head to Zara for this gorgeous slip.
Or work the trend with a pleated skirt and simple creams again at Zara.
You don't have to wear the total silver look. Perhaps just a simple pair of brogues from Clarks will do the trick. It certainly adds some light when your wearing greys creams or denims.